Greece Opens Bidding Process for Hellinikon Casino Resort

by


Greek gambling regulator publishes a call for tenders for operators interested to obtain a casino license for the Hellinikon mega-resort

The bidding process for the development of a casino as part of a larger integrated resort set to be located at the site of the former Ellinikon International Airport near Athens has finally begun after years of delays. The granting of the casino concession is an essential step for the development of the whole complex.

The Hellenic Gaming Commission announced on Friday that a call for tenders has been published on the Official Journal of the European Union, inviting interested operators to submit their applications for a casino gaming license. The winning bidder will be granted a 30-year concession to operate a casino at the €8 billion Hellinikon mega-resort.

Interested operators will be able to submit their casino license bids until 11 am local time (GMT +2) on April 22, 2019. In other words, entities that are interested to operate a gaming venue at what has been dubbed as Europe’s largest integrated resort now have two months to apply for the right to do so. It is still unknown when the winning applicant will be revealed. The Hellenic Gaming Commission said that the international tender will be

“conducted on the basis of the most economically advantageous offer based on the best price-quality ratio.”

Under the terms of the 30-year concession, the preferred casino operator will have to develop a resort with a gaming floor, accommodation facility, conference center, and a number of other facilities and invest no less than €1 billion in the property.

The Hellenic Gaming Commission said in the call for tenders that applicants need to have experience in the operation of at least one casino with no fewer than 100 gaming tables and now fewer than 500 slot machines; of at least one five-star hotel with no fewer than 800 beds; and of at least one conference and exhibition center of a total area of at least 7,500 square meters or at least one public sports or cultural events meeting place with capacity of no fewer than 2,000 seats.

Each of the above needs to have been operational for at least two consecutive years in the past five years.

The casino resort will occupy a site of approximately 15,000 square meters in the area where the larger Hellinikon complex will be developed.

Minimum Equity Capital and Revenue Requirements

Applicants must have a minimum equity capital of €200 million over the last three years and annual revenue of at least €400 million for the same period. Investment companies must hold funds totaling or exceeding €400 million for the past three years, the call for tender paper reads.

The winning bidder will have to pay an upfront consideration of €30 million in two installments to the Hellinikon contractor. The first installment will represent 10% of the total consideration and will need to be paid by the concessionaire to the contractor up until the issue date of the casino license. The remaining 90% will need to be paid until the fulfillment of the conditions precedent.

Greek firm Lamda Development has been selected as the preferred developer of the larger Hellinikon resort and an international consortium of investors, including Chinese conglomerate Fosun Group, Abu Dhabi’s Eagle Hills and the Latsis Group, has joined forces to spearhead the mega-resort scheme.

Aside from a casino resort, the Hellinikon will also include residential areas, luxury hotels, retail areas, multiple food and beverage facilities, museums and cultural venues, family entertainment facilities, sports and recreation spaces, and many more.

Construction stage is expected to create more than 10,000 jobs, while the full resort is projected to employ more than 75,000 people and to bring at least one million international visitors.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date on the day’s top casino news stories.

The post Greece Opens Bidding Process for Hellinikon Casino Resort appeared first on Casino News Daily.





Source link

No tags 0 Comments 0

No Comments Yet.

What do you think?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *